Observium vs. Cacti v2
Recently, I have setup an observium server for our office. After about two weeks of operation, here's what I think of them-
- Has thousands of templates.
- Auto discovers which templates are applicable for a host
- Comparatively better interface
- Comparatively more processor intensive.
- Does not work without DNS (/etc/hosts tuning is helpful)
- Adding users and controlling view can be tricky
- The bandwidth graph of cacti is better
- I could not find any "zoom" feature for the graphs
- Very good for bandwidth graphs.
- Very good for user portals and controlling user views.
- Easily customizable graph trees
- No auto discovery feature
- Adding new templates can be tricky, very tricky.
- Needs 64 bit counters for bandwidth graphs over 100 Mbps. Learnt it the hard way.